A little more than a year ago I changed the way I shave – and I think it is worth talking about.
Shaving seems like a really boring topic. However, given what I know now, I need to share my knowledge.
Consider this: You are probably getting overcharged for razor blades.
As of today, an 8-count package of the leading 5-blade cartridge system costs $28.99.
That’s about $4 per cartridge. That is highway robbery!
You really only need one blade …one very sharp blade and the old-school method of shaving: the so-called “wet shave” technique.
What you need (all are available on Amazon):
- razor – I have the Merkur Long-Handled Safety Razor 38c
- double-edged blades – I prefer the Derby Extra Double Edge razor blades 100 for $9.47 or 2% of the cost of a cartridge of the leading brand
- skin lubricant – I use Proraso pre-shave cream for later days (I’ll use olive oil as a base layer if I haven’t shaved for couple of days)
- shaving soap – Taylor of Old Bond Street sandalwood is primo
- badger bristle brush – A warm badger hair brush with warm shave soap feels really great
- shaving mug – I recommend the Colonel Conk model 119 mug since it really retains heat well
Warning: It is way more easy to cut yourself using this method than with one of the 5-blade monstrosities. That said, I’ve only cut myself on two occasions when I really lost focus and tried to rush through shaving and got tiny nicks. This method rewards those who take their time – not turbo shaving like you see in the razor blade commercials.
I highly recommend wet shaving with a double-edged razor. You will get a super-close shave. If you want to learn more about this, search using “wet shave” terms.
A few pointers:
- Shave right after your shower
- Let your brush soak in hot water before you use it
- Plug your sink and let your shaving mug sit in hot water while you shave – reapplication of hot shaving soap feels heavenly
- Use at least two shaving passes
- With the grain
- Use a third pass if you’re on camera later in the day and you don’t want to look like Nixon did in his debate with Kennedy
- When you’re done shaving, splash your face with cold water